Monday, June 28, 2021, 9:00AM – 10:30AM (Central European Summer Time or UTC/GMT+2)
The workshop is organised by the following SSHOC project partners:
- European Research Infrastructure for Language Resources and Technology (CLARIN) – Daan Broeder
- Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA) – Irena Vipavc
- Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities (DARIAH) – Laure Barbot
- Association of European Research Libraries (LIBER) – Vasso Kalaitzi
- Trust-IT – Marieke Willems
Short Description and objectives of the workshop
SSHOC will build the Social Sciences and Humanities part of the European Open Science Cloud. One of the SSHOC project’s core objectives is to foster the transition from the current Social Sciences and Humanities landscape to a cloud-based infrastructure that will operate according to the FAIR principles, offering access to research data and related services adapted to the needs of the Social Science and Humanities (SSH) community. Furthermore, the tools, services, repositories and other resources brought in by the project partners or generated during the project will be featured in the SSH Open Marketplace.
The SSH European Research Infrastructure Consortia (ERICs) partnering in SSHOC, are exploring and enabling collaboration and deeper integration of each other’s infrastructures. One topic that is of relevance for all SSHOC SSH stakeholders is that of managing and using vocabularies. Here we use vocabularies as a general term covering a range of semantic entities such as wordlists, taxonomies and thesauri.
The SSH vocabularies are essential for a proper description of resources and phenomena and in SSHOC many tasks are concerned with them. In SSHOC, a specific “Vocabulary Initiative” was launched last year to coordinate related vocabulary activities and investigate, inform and exchange expertise on vocabularies and the platforms that are hosting and managing them. Therefore, the proposed workshop will have the following main objectives:
- To engage SSH end-user communities present at ICTeSSH in the SSHOC Vocabulary Initiative, to collect their input and feedback on managing vocabularies, and vocabularies as FAIR semantic entities.
- To raise awareness with the SSH research community present at ICTeSSH on finding, understanding and reusing vocabularies via the SSH Open Marketplace.
Agenda and speakers:
Moderation by Marieke Willems (Trust-IT)
|9.00 – 9.10||The SSHOC Vocabulary Initiative||Daan Broeder (CLARIN)|
|9.10 – 9.15||SSH vocabularies & you||Mentimeter|
|9.15 – 9.35||How can researchers use Vocabulary in SSH tools?|
● Vocabularies and their use in the SSH community
● Managing vocabularies
● Vocabularies as FAIR semantic entities
● Using Vocabularies in different SSH tools
|4 short presentations|
|9.35 – 9.45||Finding vocabularies via the SSH Open Marketplace||Laure Barbot (DARIAH)|
|9:45 – 10:25||Panel discussion on SSHOC Vocabulary Initiative – What users want.|
● Start with survey outcomes of workshop participants for the SSHOC Vocabulary Initiative
● Collection of questions from survey to be answered by panellists
|Speakers + audience|
|10:25 – 10:30||Wrap up||Moderator|